Hueytown First United Methodist Church
by Johnny Curry

A group of 22 dedicated and determined Methodists meet on October 31, 1926 at the Hueytown High School auditorium.  That decision would bring to a close Hueytown being an enclave of just Baptist churches.

Officially organized as the Methodist Episcopal Church South of Hueytown on April 22, 1927, worship services and Sunday school classes would be held in the homes of various members.  During the summertime services would sometimes even be held under shady trees, maybe even with a nice breeze blowing through the branches.

Later that first summer a small brick house was completed upon a lot donated by the West Jefferson Land Company.  The modest home would serve initially as both the church and parsonage.  Once another church building was constructed it would continue to serve as a parsonage for many years.

On September 12,1937 the congregation would hold their first worship service in the newly constructed basement of what would later become the cream colored stucco building that still stands on the northwest corner of High School Road and Sunset Drive.  The sawdust floors of this basement would hear many sermons and hymns until the completion of the sanctuary by 1940.  A brick educational building would be added in 1950  In 1955 the church would incorporate as First Methodist Church of Hueytown.  In 1968 the church would change to its present name, First United Methodist Church of Hueytown.

Two more major building expansions would occur, first would be the completion in 1970 of a strikingly modern circular sancutary located next to the 1940 structure.  Then in 1991 a new Fellowship Hall  was constructed to accomodate the more than 900 members the church serves today.

Today the church is pastored by Rev. John M. Simmons.  In its almost 75 year history the congregation has been served by 25 ministers.