The Original Hueytown High School
On February 25, 1921, classes began in mid-term at the newly
established Hueytown High School. It had an enrollment of just 66
students (25 seniors). Within two short years enrollment vaulted to
256 students. The sparkling white stucco-covered brick structure was
located at the southeast corner of what is present day Allison-Bonnett
Memorial Drive and High School Road. Now a fenced softball
field occupies the site. Only two reminders would tell us that a
school once stood on this property. All that survives is a portion
of the sidewalk that led to the front of the building and the
silver-painted flagpole from which students raised the American flag to
begin each day.
As the years passed, several phases of expansion added classrooms to the original structure. Two clapboard-sided buildings, each containing four classrooms, were constructed on each side of the main building. One of these white-painted and green shingled-roof buildings was known as the Home Ec Annex. The school would suffer at least one major fire that destroyed the second floor that was over the front central section of the building. A gymnasium was added about 1940.
Since the school served Hueytown, Concord, Pleasant Grove, and several other communities, overcrowding from growth was a constant problem. Seven different grammar schools fed into Hueytown High by 1947: Cottage Hill, Concord, Dolomite, Hueytown, Rutledge, Johns, and McNeil. The last year the old building served as the high school student enrollment had swelled to 1273. As a result the county school board approved relocation to the present site on Dabbs Avenue. The new school's college-like campus design opened in the fall of 1958. Following Mr. Gilmore's retirement after 35 years, the school was led by Mr. Charles Vines, who took the reins as principal beginning with the 1957 school year.
The original school building was then renamed W. I. Pittman Junior High
School (after a county school board member who served from 1931-51).
By the late 1960's the old school building was very much showing its age,
and once again, was hopelessly overcrowed. A new junior high school,
still in use today, was built on Sunrise Boulevard. During the
structure's final years as a Junior High School, the principal was Mr.
Richard Farrar. The old building was then abandoned following the
close of classes in May of 1970 when only sixth and seventh grade students
attended school at the site. Its gymnasium was used sparingly for
community functions (such as Ben Montebano's boxing league) until the
entire site was razed in 1972.